- I have been buying, reading, and collecting comic books since 1959.
- I have been BUYING…and SELLING comic books…..FULL TIME….since 1972.
- I started reading comic books in 1959. I soon discovered that comic books [for a young or illiterate reader] were an easy and potent introduction to the benefits of reading……..and an unparalleled fantasy factory that was a lot of fun too!
- From 1959-1972 I kept all of the books I could get. Many books were given to me as large collections…..for FREE….if I could just come to pick them up and TAKE THEM AWAY! Many times, I would walk MILES [back and forth] to bring these books home. I had a large room and plenty of storage space for the THOUSANDS of comic books I bought, found or saved from the oblivion of the garbage can.
- Almost all of the books that I accumulated from this time were from ORIGINAL COLLECTIONS [books bought and preserved by the ORIGINAL buyers] because the SECONDARY MARKET for back issue comic books was confined to a small number of “comic book” stores in a few big cities and a scattered and unknown number of second-hand book stores that started to sell old comic books [ANY comic book…. the title, number and condition were irrelevant] for the exorbitant price of……. 2 for a nickel.
- In 1972, I was temporarily disabled, out of work and in need of money. I was one of the 1st and certainly the longest lasting comic book seller at a New York area Flea market. Throughout the 1970’s, active in my new job as a New York area comic book dealer, I purchased countless ORIGINAL collections at Flea Markets, through newspaper ads and local comic conventions.
- Currently, I sell old comic books through online sites and at comic book conventions [I have attended and sold at MORE comic book conventions…….in almost 40 years…. than ANYONE] throughout the U.S.
Updated: August 30, 2010